Arthur Jafa - A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions Vinyl
A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions
Direct-to-disc on The Vinyl Factory Lathe on 9 September 2017.
Co-produced by the Serpentine Galleries and The Vinyl Factory
Edition of 300 + 50 AP
£250 + VAT
This Limited Edition Vinyl Record is produced on the occasion of Arthur Jafa’s exhibition A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions at the Serpentine North Gallery (8 June – 10 September 2017).
Artist, filmmaker and cinematographer Arthur Jafa presented a Listening Session on 9 September 2017 with musicians Steve Coleman, Morgan Craft, Micah Gaugh, Melvin Gibbs, Kokayi Carl Walker, Jason Moran and performing artist Okwui Okpokwasili, coinciding with the closing of his exhibition, A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions at the Serpentine Sackler Gallery.
The dismembered jazz ensemble improvised simultaneously but separately at secret ‘Black Sites’ across London. The resulting music was live streamed to the Serpentine North Gallery, where Okwui Okpokwasili performed, devising a time-based work accompanying the discordant soundtrack. The Listening Session was recorded direct-to-disc on The Vinyl Factory Lathe, which was installed in the Gallery.
A: Live Recording
B: Guide Track
Click here to listen to a clip of the live recording.
* Vinyl edition by Arthur Jafa, limited to 300 copies worldwide, each hand-signed and numbered by the artist
* Live Recording featuring Steve Coleman, Morgan Craft, Micah Gaugh, Melvin Gibbs, Kokayi Issa and Jason Moran
* Recorded direct-to-disc on The Vinyl Factory Lathe at the Serpentine North Gallery, September 2017
* Sleeve artwork concept by Arthur Jafa, designed by OSK Studio Los Angeles
* Gatefold sleeve printed UV litho with a black overprint on 340gsm silver mirri board
* Inner sleeve hand screen printed with clear gloss foil blocking on 320gsm popset black paper
* Pressed on 180-gram heavyweight black vinyl on the EMI 1400 in Hayes, Middlesex
* Release date: 28th Feb 2018.
By purchasing Serpentine Gallery Limited Editions you are agreeing to these terms and conditions of sale. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
All proceeds directly support the Serpentine's multiple strands of programming and most importantly during this time, the delivery of our civic engagement projects.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
As a result of the new Brexit rules and regulations, VAT is now calculated in the checkout section in your cart and is dependent on the shipping destination.