Arthur Jafa - A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions Vinyl
A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions
Direct-to-disc on The Vinyl Factory Lathe on 9 September 2017.
Co-produced by the Serpentine Galleries and The Vinyl Factory
Edition of 300 + 50 AP
£300 (incl. VAT)
This Limited Edition Vinyl Record is produced on the occasion of Arthur Jafa’s exhibition A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions at the Serpentine Sackler Gallery (8 June – 10 September 2017).
Artist, filmmaker and cinematographer Arthur Jafa presented a Listening Session on 9 September 2017 with musicians Steve Coleman, Morgan Craft, Micah Gaugh, Melvin Gibbs, Kokayi Carl Walker, Jason Moran and performing artist Okwui Okpokwasili, coinciding with the closing of his exhibition, A Series of Utterly Improbable, Yet Extraordinary Renditions at the Serpentine Sackler Gallery.
The dismembered jazz ensemble improvised simultaneously but separately at secret ‘Black Sites’ across London. The resulting music was live streamed to the Serpentine Sackler Gallery, where Okwui Okpokwasili performed, devising a time-based work accompanying the discordant soundtrack. The Listening Session was recorded direct-to-disc on The Vinyl Factory Lathe, which was installed in the Gallery.
A: Live Recording
B: Guide Track
* Vinyl edition by Arthur Jafa, limited to 300 copies worldwide, each hand-signed and numbered by the artist
* Live Recording featuring Steve Coleman, Morgan Craft, Micah Gaugh, Melvin Gibbs, Kokayi Issa and Jason Moran
* Recorded direct-to-disc on The Vinyl Factory Lathe at the Serpentine Sackler Gallery, September 2017
* Sleeve artwork concept by Arthur Jafa, designed by OSK Studio Los Angeles
* Gatefold sleeve printed UV litho with a black overprint on 340gsm silver mirri board
* Inner sleeve hand screen printed with clear gloss foil blocking on 320gsm popset black paper
* Pressed on 180-gram heavyweight black vinyl on the EMI 1400 in Hayes, Middlesex
* Release date: 28th Feb 2018.